The Parish Church of Bainton and Ashton is St Mary’s located in the centre of the village. the church is a grade 1 listed building. Please follow this link to the Parish News Online web site for details of contacts and services.
The following description is taken from British listed buildings web site.
From early 13th century although there are records of a religious building on the site as far back as the 10th century . The Nave has Decorated south window either side of porch and Decorated south doorway, large Perpendicular south windows. Early 13th century north aisle and north chapel with straight headed Perpendicular windows.
15th century chancel with Perpendicular 3-light east and south windows. The chancel, north aisle and chapel are buttressed and the nave, chancel and north aisle have moulded parapet. 15th century south porch with battlements and winder 4-centred arch. 14th century west tower with-angle buttresses, moulded base and recessed sides with large 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and ball flower friezes, west window has ogee details. Stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
Interior: Early 13th century three bay north arcade plus one 14th century bay at west end. Three bays have double-chamfered round arches and circular piers with round moulded
capitals and abaci.
The west bay is narrower and has pointed arch with crenelated capitals. Depressed tie beam nave and chancel roofs. Two fine 13th century piscinas, not in original positions, both gabled, one with oak leaves and acorns, the other crocketed and with finial. 13th century octagonal font on clustered columns. Monument to Mary Henson 1805 by Sir Richard Westmacott.